Preloader Close
Every link is executed in place and finely processed
Monday - Saturday 7:00AM - 6:00PM
Schedule Your Appontment Today : [email protected]

proposed mine in northern wisconsin

Cruhser Machine

Mining Pollution and Environmental Concerns Indian iron ore processing plant in wisonsin durbanlizardscoza

The mine would also endanger the lands and waterways of the Forest County Potawatomi whose reservation is close to the proposed mining site and potentially destroy lakes full of wild rice used by the Mole Lake Ojibwe by fouling the water Wisconsin s Indian people are not alone in opposing the Crandon mine Many non Indian community and environmental groups in northern Wisconsin have also Proposed northern Wisconsin mine brings promise of jobs but Apr 12 A taconite mine proposed near Ashland in northern Wisconsin could and taken to a processing plant where the iron is removed magnetically

More Info

Wisconsin Geological Natural History Survey SilverOpen pit mine proposed in Ashland and Iron counties

Major silver mineralization is found with native copper in nearby Michigan at the White Pine Mine and further north in the Keweenaw Peninsula Similar deposits are not known from equivalent bedrock in Wisconsin Native silver is found sporadically in glacial drift with copper transported from the An affiliate of a privately held coal mining company is proposing to spend more than $1 billion to develop a large open pit iron ore mine on an ancient mountain range in far northern Wisconsin

More Info

Ironwood The Rocks of the Penokee Range Iron Mining An Issue of Environmental Justice Wisconsin

A large open pit mine in the Penokee Range similar to the one proposed by GTAC would be about four miles long 600 to 900 feet deep and about feet wide making it the largest single topographic feature in WisconsinGogebic Taconite G Tac a subsidiary of The Cline Group has proposed a 4 189 mile long open pit iron ore mine in the Penokee Hills of Northern Wisconsin This would be the first phase of an eventual 22 mile strip of open pit mining stretching from west of Mellen in southern Ashland County to Upson in Iron County The land is privately held managed forest land 35 square miles of rugged

More Info

Northern Wisconsin Chippewa tribes might use treaties to Is mining about dead in Wisconsin Federal Reserve Bank

Armed with its status as a sovereign nation and powerful treaties with the federal government the Bad River Chippewa tribe has the legal muscle to do what Democratic opponents of an iron mine proposed for northern Wisconsin have so far been unable to do halt or delay the project Those powersA proposed zinc and copper underground mine on 865 acres near Crandon has brought the issue of mining in Wisconsin to a head The Mole Lake Chippewa Band and a number of environmental groups object to the mine on several grounds including concerns over possible damage to an important wild rice lake bed and damage to the Wolf River

More Info

Mel Gasper on the proposed Gogebic Taconite mine in the Proposed Crandon Mine in Northeast Wisconsin

11 11 32 Mel Gasper of Lac Courte Oreilles talks from the LCO Harvest and Education Camp on stopping the proposed Gogebic Taconite Mine in the Penokee Hills of northern WisconsinThe Problem In Crandon Wisconsin there is a conflict over a proposal by the Crandon Mining Company to build an immense copper and zinc mine near the Mole Lake Sokaogan Chippewa reservation Crandon Mining Company is composed of the Exxon Corporation and Rio Algom Ltd

More Info

Emerging Geoenvironmental Issues Related to Proposed Mary Burke Changes Position on Northern Wisconsin Mine

Iron Life Cycle Studi Contact Nadine Piatak npiatak usgsgov We will analyze and help predict the source transport and fate of products from iron mining in the Gogebic Range of northern Michigan and Wisconsin and from iron and steelmaking slag in the Chicago region of Illinois and IndianaBurke Opposed to Mine After Previously Signaling Support MacIver News Service July 2 Madison Wisc Democrat gubernatorial candidate Mary Burke recently expressed concern over the proposed iron ore mine in the Penokee Hills of northern Wisconsin

More Info

Crandon mine WikipediaProposed mine criticized at DNR hearing Wisconsin Radio

Crandon mine was a mine proposed for northeastern Wisconsin USA It was to be situated near the town of Crandon and the Mole Lake Ojibwe Reservation in Forest CountyMining opponents were out in force Thursday during a public hearing on a proposed northern Wisconsin iron ore mine The hearing in Hurley comes as the Wisconsin

More Info

Urban Wilderness Visualizing the mine proposed for A Taconite Story Mining in Northern Wisconsin

02 24 32 Visualizing the mine proposed for northern WI Author and outdoorsman Eric Hanson recently wrote a succinct and passionate A Taconite Story Mining in Northern Wisconsin By JJ Roske Faculty Advisors Jean Lavigne Troy Knight Introduction In the Great Lakes area the mining of metallic ores helped to shape the economy and culture of the Midwest Today within the Penokee Hills of northern Wisconsin there is a current proposal from a mining company to begin a taconite iron mine Taconite is a lower grade of iron

More Info

Back 40 Proposed Mine Project Sierra ClubState is sitting on a gold mine and a copper mine and

Back 40 Proposed Mine Project Learn about the threats from the Back Forty Mine an open pit feet by feet and 750 feet deep massive gold zinc and sulfide mine only 150 feet from the Menominee River which forms the boundary between Wisconsin and MichiganExxon Minerals proposed mine five miles south of Crandon in Forest County may be the first to get off the ground in the future The 70 million ton ore body reportedly the largest in northern Wisconsin contains copper and zinc Exxon which discovered the deposit in has been actively looking for partners In most states the Crandon deposit would be gone already Renke says

More Info

Wis governor Chippewas battle over open pit mine planState Assembly Passes Controversial Mining Bill WUWM

09 08 32 In the fight against the mine the Bad River Tribe may rely on an treaty in which Native Americans ceded much of northern Wisconsin to This afternoon the Wisconsin State Assembly will vote on a bill designed to encourage mining The proposal would put an end a stringent law passed by lawmakers almost 20 years ago

More Info

Wisconsin s Sulfide Mining District Mining in Northern Mining Impact Info Wisconsin wsnorg

douglas ashland iron sawyer rusk price oneida vilas forest oconto langlade shawano door kewaunee marathon lincoln waupaca portage wood juneau waushara marquette greenThe mine proposed by Exxon south of Crandon Wisconsin would remove approximately 10 times this volume of ore and would be a deep shaft mine that would go 1/2 mile deep No one has been able to find one example of a successfully reclaimed massive sulfide metallic mine of this type anywhere on the Planet Earth that has not caused major pollution

More Info

Wisconsin debates law to allow iron ore strip mining ReutersInterest in mining surges in northern Wisconsin Local

12 14 32 MILWAUKEE Reuters A controversial plan to strip mine for iron ore in northern Wisconsin could proceed under a proposed state law designed to ease environmental rulA taconite mine proposed near Ashland in northern Wisconsin could bring thousands of high paying jobs to the region and billions of dollars to the state s economy but it would first have to pass an extensive environmental impact study

More Info

DNR report says proposed northern Wisconsin open pit mine Exploring Possible Economic and Environmental Futures in

Iron mining in northern Wisconsin poses a variety of potential threats to human health and to the water supply that connects a complex ecosystem ranging from upland forest to wetland bogs to Lake Superior state scientists say in an internal report that came to light during Januarygreatly affected by the proposed mine regardless of race We the students of the Nelson Institute working with the Bad River Ojibwe strongly believe that the economic future of Northern Wisconsin is one of economic and

More Info